Thursday, May 6, 2010
Happy Meal
I knew one day that this day would come; the day there is no toys in McDonald’s Happy Meals. Last week I read an article that said McDonald’s Happy Meals must be toy-free in a Californian County. The story said that on April 27th, 2010 this California County will have banned toys from meals that are high in calories, salt, sugar or fat. The ban applies to any kids' meal with high amounts of these things, not just to McDonald, to every restaurant. I am so happy to see this wonderful proposal has been adopted. I believe this is first step and there will be lots of similar proposals in other counties. When I was child, I loved the Happy Meals toys from McDonald. I was addicted to collecting these awesome looking toys every time I visited a McDonalds, so that without noticing I was ruining my body eating McDonald’s Happy Meals. I guess, no, I am sure that every child who has visited McDonald’s has tried a happy meal for their awesome looking or pretty toys. I hesitated about which kind of toy to choose. And now do not even remember what those toys were and nor have them anymore. I feel like I am a victim of the business practices of McDonald’s that target children with Happy Meals toys. It is really surprising how these fast food restaurants are going down one by one. Maybe not going down, but reconstructing way that they should provide meals to children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree completely, fattening foods are not good for children at all and I remember when I was younger I saw mcdonalds advertisements and it would mention what toys they had at that time, so everytime I got to pick where I wanted to eat I would pick mcdonalds. I loved the little worthless toys they had as well.
ReplyDeleteit is nice to see a person like you who remembers McDonald advertisements. i love how you say the little worthless toys. hahaha
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with the removal of toys from unhealthy kids meals. I believe that a lot of children only want the kids meals for the toys so if that is not longer an incentive, children will ask for these meal options less.
ReplyDeletethat's pretty crazy that they are removing the toys. but i think it's a really good idea. it's always so sad to see some little kid that is overweight. i tend to blame the parents but after learning so much this semester the blame goes to the food systems in this country.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a great idea to take the toys out of these unhealthy meals because kids are brainwashed in thinking that if they get this meal they will get a toy, and in my case, and I am sure in many other kid's cases, the parents won't let the kids have the toy unless their meal is eaten first which encourages the kids even more to eat unhealthy. Hopefully the kids will still go for the meal instead of the fattier, better-tasting food. If I were still a kid, I would still go after the toy!
ReplyDeleteI agree. Issuing toys in kid's meal is a great advertising technique and has obviously worked for the past 10 years. I think it's a good idea to not allow restaurants to put toys in meals that are high in fat, calories, sugar, and salt because it really drives kids to buy such unhealthy meals purely for the toy.
ReplyDelete